UTHSCSA Center for Light Scattering and Calorimetry (CLSC)
he UTHSCSA Center for Light Scattering and Calorimetry provides instrumentation and expertise in light scattering and calorimetry.
DynaPro Nanostar from Wyatt Technologies
VP-ITC from GE/Microcal
|| The DynaPro NanoStar is available for Dynamic Light Scattering (DLS). It is capable of measuring samples ranging in size from 0.5 nm to 1000 nm at concentrations as low as 0.1 mg/ml. Sample volumes as small as 1 uLmay be tested. Operation is performed through the easy to use DYNAMICS® Software and data may be exported to MS Word or other programs.
The NanoStar also has a dedicated Static Light Scattering (SLS) detector so not only can it measure hydrodynamic radii, but absolute molecular weights as well.
VP-DSC from Microcal
- Simultaneous determination of all binding parameters in a single experiment - information unobtainable from more limited binding assays by
characterization of molecular interactions of small molecules, proteins, antibodies, nucleic acids, lipids and other biomolecules,
assessment of the effect of molecular structure changes on binding mechanisms, and
assessment of biological activity.
- Directly measure sub-millimolar to nanomolar binding constants (102 to 109 M-1). Measure nanomolar to picomolar binding constants (109 to 1012 M-1) using the competitive binding technique.
- Investigate any biomolecular interaction with high sensitivity.
- No labeling or immobilization required. No buffer restrictions. Easily handles turbid solutions.
- Unattended operation after sample loading.
- No reagents are required.
BI-200SM from Brookhaven
||DSC is a powerful technique to characterize temperature-induced conformational changes in proteins or other macromolecules. It is useful for measuring the melting temperature of a protein, which could be used to determine whether mutagenesis of a protein results in changes in its thermal stability (i.e. fold).
||A Brookhaven BI-200SM goniometer with a mini L30 laser and a 256 channel autocorrelater provides multi-angle static and dynamic light scattering measurements.